Orange Pomegranate Salad
Date: Friday, December 1, 2017
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the salad
- 1 large bunch spinach
- 3 oranges, or other sweet-tasting citrus
- 1 large pomegranate
- 1/2 shallot, sliced paper thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- To make dressing, one at a time, whisk zest, juice, vinegar, mustard, and buttermilk into olive oil. Add shallots, rosemary, and sea salt. Set aside while you prepare salad.
- Cut very top and bottom off of oranges. Carefully slice off peel, removing white pith while sparing as much flesh as possible. Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Pour most of the dressing over the spinach; turn with fingers to coat.
- Spread spinach on a large platter and tuck oranges throughout. Scatter with pomegranate pearls and shallots. Finish with a final drizzle of dressing, a scattering of rosemary leaves, a pinch of sea salt, and several twists fresh pepper.