Healthy(ish) Green Bean Casserole
Date: Sunday, November 19, 2017
- 2-3 thinly sliced, medium onions
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil for frying
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 8-10 mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 egg yolks
- 5 cans of green beans (can also use fresh or 2-3 bags of frozen)
- Thinly slice all the onions, separate, and put in medium bowl.
- Add the two eggs and the 3 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix well until evenly incorporated.
- Add coconut flour and mix by hand until evenly coated
- Put coconut oil in large skillet and turn on medium high heat.
- When hot, add the coated onions and evenly brown, turning occasionally.
- When browned, remove from heat and set aside.
- In medium sauce pan, melt butter and saute mushrooms until starting to brown, then add cream.
- Whisk in egg yolks and spices and about 1/3 of the onion topping mixture and continue stirring until the yolks begin to cook and the mixture thickens.
- Add extra milk or water if needed to thin (only a few tablespoons might be needed).
- Drain green beans and pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour the cream mixture over and mix well until incorporated.
- Top with onion mixture and heat at 325 in the oven until topping starts to crisp and green beans are heated.